View Single Post
Old 7th January 2006, 05:05   #39  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

hehe... thanks for that

i don't have any 10-bit stuff on my machine right now (i'm at home for the weekend thankfully), but i'll try it out when i get to work.

i highly doubt there'd be a perceptible difference, but it could help to have a little bit of dither noise in there for the sake of the encoder - perfectly clean video will go blocky even at very low quants, but a little bit of noise (bonus if it's related to the signal like dither noise is) can help prevent blocking without hurting bitrate performance.

and if you get raw export working, even for 2Vuy, i would kiss you. i've got a really awesome looking "my neighbor totoro" in huffy that i want to export back to didge, and it'd suck if i had to bugger up the sharpness and colours by saving it with quicktime's routines. (seriously, anyone who gets the R4 totoro in march will have the best looking release in the world . i'm real happy with how it turned out).

doing a simple subtraction between a resaved QT and the original is a real eye opener...

[edit]

i'm just reading up on dither for both audio and video. it looks like 1/2 the LSB of noise added before rounding will be fine. only thing is you might want to use the same seed each time, otherwise we will never get the same encode twice

there's also floyd-steinberg dither... i'm just looking for appropriate links

[edit 2]

here's a page with source for a floy-steinberg dither. i'm not sure if interlace needs to be taken into account for it though (probably) as it propagates error from 1 line onto pixels from the next (possibly unrelated) line.

http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gimp/fsdither.html

Last edited by Mug Funky; 7th January 2006 at 05:34.
Mug Funky is offline   Reply With Quote