View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2005, 09:34   #12  |  Link
Didée

Quickly - -

AVIL: The idea of edge-aware averaging is certainly good, but surely it is more complex ... there arise *many* questions of what to do, what not, and why and how ...
Probably it would be a good idea to make up a separate thread for that. For sure I would participate if you make one

>> Convolution3D and (I suppose) Deen don't discard pixels, limit it to the threshold instead

No. I'm pretty sure (for C3D: absolutely) that pixels within <thresh> contribute to the avaraging, and pixels outside of <thresh> do not. They are not "include-everything-and-limit-the-result" filters.
This' for both filters, and ...

>> And process the center also

both treat <thresh> based on the center pixel, of course. Deen, however, has the possibility to reduce <thresh> as pixels go farther away from the center.

Manao: What I already have thought about is, perhaps, a filter that works similar to the new edgemask-thresholding you did introduce: A kind of blur filter where, for every pixel, the thresholds of what-to-include are given by either one additional clip (thresh radius is specified by this clip) or two additional clips (by which absolute upper & lower thresholds are specified).
This would rise possibilities like selfmade edge-aware blurring (or sharpening), selfmade bilateral filtering, and probably some more I currently can't think of.

However, this definetly should be a separate filter, not part of the MaskTools, IMO.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote