View Single Post
Old 1st June 2015, 20:43   #30671  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
imho one shouldn't use it at all. There's a reason why usually gamma corrected is considered as the desired result (or better said: gamma correction gives the desired result in the end).
I just played some desktop capture videos and fonts look totally awful with linear light downscaling.
I really don't think that looking at computer graphics is a good test for downscaling.
You should be using photographs or movies.
Something that was filmed instead of rendered.

With that, linear light downscaling should be better - at least if your display is properly calibrated.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=25427 (note: this is a macro image of a fly)
View the comparison images here at 100% in your browser and switch tabs.

The image scaled in linear light should look very close to the source, only lower resolution.
The image without linear light scaling is quite a bit darker than the source image, and finer details are lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDog View Post
I've always used Spline3 for downscaling as I prefer the slightly sharper look to CR.
So I shouldn't be downscaling in linear light if using Spline?
Catmull-Rom with the anti-ringing filter enabled is the only option which does not result in ugly ringing or aliasing artifacts when linear light scaling is enabled.
I don't recommend enabling the linear light scaling option with anything else.
An old example comparing Catmull-Rom and Lanczos.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote