Thread: XviD FAQ
View Single Post
Old 24th January 2004, 19:52   #7  |  Link
crusty
Ahhh....Nuts!!

Q:Can I paste a clip encoded with and a clip encoded without Qpel together to a single file?

A: Yes you can. In Vdub or Vdubmod you simply open the first file and then choose 'append avi segment(/file/whatever)', then save it as a new file with direct stream (no recompression).
EDIT: The resulting is not MPEG4 compliant and therefore this operation isn't supported by XviD developers.

Q: Why would I want to do that?

A: Encoding the end credits separately with Qpel can save you quite some bits. Especially on the classic vertical scrolling end credits you can easily save 1/3 of the size. Your end credits will look just as good (or bad) as the original with 1/3 less filesize.

Q: Does decoding Qpel require more processing power?

A: Yes it does. Some people have reported somewhere between 30 to 60% more processor usage with Qpel, but details are few and far between.
Try it out for yourself and see. People with 1 GHz or faster processors generally don't have to worry, unless your decoding a 1280x1024 clip or something like that.

Last edited by Koepi; 24th January 2004 at 21:38.
crusty is offline   Reply With Quote