View Single Post
Old 18th February 2007, 09:33   #295  |  Link
arnezami

Some general remarks:

As you have probably seen by now I've been very busy writing my AACS explanation. This way everybody (including programmers) now know much better how things work.

The sample source I gave in this thread should in principle work for both HD DVD and BD. The mkb tool from evdberg actually works and (when he releases his source) other programmers can do the same in any language they see fit.

Currently I'm not sure which direction I want to go. It depends on what others are willing/can do. I believe somebody should extend/make a program like evdberg and make it more user friendly. Also since we can guess most Volume IDs (for HD DVD) somebody could extend it by first reading the disc name and the date of the files created on it. From that it could try guessing Volume IDs (pretty quick) with a fairly good change of succeeding. Meaning we would be able to make a key extractor for most HD DVDs without the need of a software player! We could also make a program that extracts Volume IDs from the memory of software player (for HD DVD/BD but to do this properly this requires some knowledge of entropy measurement or a another way of doing this reliably) And we could also make a Volume ID sniffer (USB or even IDE for BD internal burners etc) which will be very useful in the future too .

These are all kinds of programs that could be build. I'm probably capable of creating them but I would like to concentrate on making the AACS-auth (+Host Cert/private key) work. This would really allow a independent player/decrypter (on any platform/OS). I also hope others will join in this quest.

I only have a limited amount of time to spent. I can't do this alone. So please don't expect me to.

Regards,

arnezami

Last edited by arnezami; 18th February 2007 at 10:21.
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote