View Single Post
Old 18th February 2007, 08:33   #294  |  Link
arnezami

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD00 View Post
There is no secret about that, you even don't need to be a programmer to do that. First, you should read the MultiMedia Command Set - 6 (MMC-6) to know how to build a CDB for the READ DISC STRUCTURE command. Then you can use DVDInfoPro to construct custom commands and send them to the drive. Works quite good, but this program cannot handle more than 4 KB of returned data. I'm not familiar with the windows API and how to access the HD-Drive, so i looked around and found CDToImg 1.01 posted at the CDFreaks forum. I modified the source and the result is a quick hack that writes the BCA and Copyright Data Section to file, i've attached this proggy with source if someone wants to play around with it.

This method does only work with HD-DVD, Blu-Ray stores the VolumeID somewhere else. I've done it with my XBox 360 HD-Drive, haven't seen any HD writables yet.

Thanks!

I've tried it on my drive and it indeed gives back the bca (media id + half of volume id). cda is 60 kb of zeros (and it then hangs with me, but thats probably my system acting up or something) so that seems to be protected. This could be a useful little tool to experement with (especially to try to make the AACS-auth getting to work ).

Btw: its pretty incredible that a carefully thought of encryption system (with strong certs/private/public keys) is now reduced to at worst a 48-bit guessing game. Somebody should feel very ashamed. I wonder if all HD DVD drives do this.

Last edited by arnezami; 18th February 2007 at 12:32.
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote