View Single Post
Old 8th December 2018, 02:11   #6  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma View Post
... so I figured my next best bet would be to actually split the video on that keyframe, then trim the part I want from the beginning by re-encoding just the half or so segment I want, and then joining that with the rest of the video.

Issue is, I have no idea how to attempt to duplicate the settings of the second half of the video so I can join it. All attempted have just resulted in it rejecting the second half of the video to join (mp4box) or spitting out a video that after that first half second or so is just corrupted and does not play the rest (avidemux).
If VidCutter does not work in your case then I think your approach indeed is your best bet. If your reencoded segment uses the same codecs and the same frame size for video then there is a good chance that you can join these parts.

I first tried with MkvToolNix. I did get a warning about different private codec parameters, but the resulting file played fine.

The other thing I tried was FFmpeg for joining the files. dmMediaConverter is an FFmpeg GUI with some very useful options, and among other things it has an option to "Merge the same". This means that the input files need to use identical codecs and frame sizes, and I also got good results with this method.

What I did notice for both methods was a very small audio dropout at the merge point. Hardly audible, but of course this can be fixed with a WAV editor...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote