View Single Post
Old 28th April 2015, 14:22   #61  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I think the idea behind the wave file channel ordering was simply to increase the number of channels without making too much of a mess.
The original RIFF/WAV specs allowed for this.
Quote:
When the two channels in a stereo wave file are left and right, why when you add a third (ie centre) would it be logical to put it in the middle?
No. When stereo appeared (stereo doesn't mean 2 channels but spatial), people put a number of speakers around the listener. It was the need of a researcher and his paper to demonstrate that stereophonic image can be obtained with only 2 speakers. So 3 speakers were a triangle. Like 4 channels in the '70ies were placed around the listener not all in front of him. Therefore a third channel is more logical to be Center-Back rather than Center-Front.
Quote:
The wave file format is THE intermediate PC format used when converting between one format and another. Import a 5.1ch AC3 file into Audacity and then do the same for 5.1ch AAC file. They'll both be imported using the wave file channel order.
It is not. Audacity does not need AFAIK to convert to WAV any file it processes. It converts them however to raw (L)PCM which is not WAV.

I wonder how the engineers at Dolby or in Hollywood converted the audio to Dolby 5.1 when WAV lacked this possibility. Hm, Hm, Hm
Quote:
I don't know why that needs explaining to Ghitulescu unless some decoders decode use a different channel order and encoders accept different channel masks to define the input channels.
Half-knowing is dangerous, as I see
Channel mask is the MS invention. Dolby had presets: 4 channels could only mean L,R,Ls,Rs, and this could be combined with LFE to get 4.1.
Quote:
So your recent efforts to convert 4.1ch audio to 5.1ch audio? That was all Microsoft's fault and nothing to do with your hardware not decoding 4.1ch correctly?
No, the hardware correctly decoded the files that were not WAV, but I could not get there without passing through WAV due to the tools I am allowed to use. 4.1 it is allowed in Dolby Digital (also in real life, as the video part was dolbidised), see above.