View Single Post
Old 29th May 2018, 12:15   #51036  |  Link
madjock

I am a little confused on what I have achieved after delving into MadVR and KODI Dsplayer.

I only have an old LG 1080P HDTV, mostly 1080p Remux and some 4K Remux movies. I started using MadVR again after finding out that HDR goes to washed out until using the great application and it getting converted from HDR to SDR.

Am I seeing a Placebo effect watching 4K on a 1080P TV ? If the HDR is getting converted to SDR am I missing out on so much I should just stick to 1080P, do I see extra detail or is it Placebo ?

The more posts I read from people that own 4K HDR TVs is that instead of 4K movies differing in the amount of HDR, certain ones being darker, there is a constant battle messing with settings and not every film is the same, but is that not the point ?

The more I read the more it seems to be people upscaling Anime in a lot of the guides you read, and most of the guides seem to point back to old settings not used anymore.

To sum up can High Bitrate 1080P/4K movies look any better than they are, or could you get the same effect by playing with the TV settings for sharpness etc ?. The reason I say this is if I read correctly and 4K TVs are sometimes referred to as only as good as the distance you are away from it, then surely all these filters, processing elements are the same. There seem to be negatives when applying processing that you have to use other options to counter this, so I am unsure if it actually achieves anything. I see zoomed in pictures that says things change, but if you have to zoom in, are you actually going to see the difference in real time at unzoomed settings ?

I am not dissing MadVR at all, just confused where it is all going and how could it get better ?

Last edited by madjock; 29th May 2018 at 12:20.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote