View Single Post
Old 28th January 2008, 23:53   #29  |  Link
frenchglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, makes sense.

But you cannot add meta data to MLP, right? I mean things like artist name, album name, title name etc.
That's interesting, didn't think of that. That brings back a need for FLAC then. I might convert them one day but I'm liking the prospect of just ripping to MLP for now, as a first step.

--

But what I'm wondering and hoping, is when there will be an open source MLP encoder? It would be integrated into eac3to, but even better, dvda-author, which its coder Dave Chapman started to work on again just a few months ago. Inability to encode MLP (cheaply/freely) has been the one thing to set back DVD-A authoring the way it should be.

If the guys at FFmpeg have reverse-engineer MLP, then surely they can write an encoder for it, right? Wouldn't it be great to finally be able to burn off your own tracks to DVD-A as easily as a CD. Yeah, there's the watermarking detection in standalone players, but I've come to realise that [at least for music, at the moment], physical media is going right out and downloadable files will be the new standard - we just need the flexibility to author our own DVD-As now.
frenchglen is offline   Reply With Quote