View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:43   #3  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
I should say that the reason(s) that I want to use VOBSUBs instead of just using the SRT have to do with my use of the final product. I want to use the final file for my media center that is streaming to my TV. I burn in the subs using Handbrake and the most reliable method that it can use is VOBSUBs. Along with the workflow being set, I also like the look of the BR's bitmapped subs.
Honestly I don't know how to keep the original vobsubs while adding your own new ones. And even if it's possible it's probably, as you've suspected, a lot of work.

But what about taking that SRT you have (it contains everything the original BD subs had + stuff that's missing on the BD subs, right?) and turn that SRT into a really nice new Vobsub. If you do this you have total control about the look of the subtitles, you can make them look like the original ones if you use the same font and size, you just have to fiddle it out a bit.

If that SRT contains only those additional subtitles then you would first have to merge it with the OCR'ed* subtitles of your BD and then convert this SRT where everything's present to Vobsub.

* Optical Character Recognition, process of converting graphical subtitles to text

I'd suggest to use avs2bdnxml to convert SRT to Vobsub – more precisely you would first import your final SRT in Aegisub to tweak the look of the subtitles and save it in ASS format. Via AviSynth avs2bdnxml then converts it to a bunch of bitmaps + XML file.
As a last step you would use BDSuptoSub to convert that stuff to Vobsub (sub + idx) finally.
Alternatively you could use easySUP/goSUP which does all that in a one-step operation and with a GUI.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 3rd February 2012 at 11:54.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote