View Single Post
Old 16th February 2003, 01:23   #4  |  Link
sapient
Unbeliever

I am trying to encode some tv episodes (PAL DVD versions of Star Trek TNG and The X-Files.)
The original material is in NTSC, half of it true interlaced (the cg parts)and half telecined from 24fps. This source was transformed into interlaced PAL for europe using a truly stupid way, resulting, every once in a while, in PAL fields consisting of the blending of 2 NTSC fields , although the wrong two (that is not the identical 2, in the case of the telecined parts, but each of the identical two with the previous or next). Most of the rest of the frames are either telecined PAL or progressive PAL, varying from scene to scene, depending on whether the scene started in the first (top) or second (bottom) field of a particular frame. There are also some true interlaced parts (cg scenes). The result is an interlaced PAL stream that contains progressive parts, telecined parts, true interlaced parts and some pre-blended fields. This is what I am trying to straighten out.
Telecide seems to work, somewhat, but results in a really choppy image. GreedyHMA gives a much smoother image. I think that the mixed nature of the material confuses telecide which drops some frames or something. Plus, greedyHMA's postprocessing does a much better job of clearing up the fields already blended in the source; so good that, combined with 1-pass encoding with a quant of 2, the resulting divx actually looks better than the botched dvd.

Last edited by sapient; 17th February 2003 at 02:27.
sapient is offline   Reply With Quote