View Single Post
Old 5th November 2002, 03:23   #122  |  Link
trbarry

I wrote my first YUY2/YV12 filter

Quote:
Tom,
That's great news, glad to hear your working on them already. When you say "dot remover", are you speaking about the so called "mosquito noise" we see on DVD sources? I know your mostly into HDTV so maybe I'm off base here.
MaTTeR -

Not off base at all. It is a fairly fast simple deringing median filter designed to remove stray dots. It should somewhat handle ringing and mosquito noise. It may not have as strong an effect as the one I did for Xvid/ffdshow but should be maybe twice as fast.

Some really superficial testing shows it gives maybe a 5-10% compression improvement at Xvid quant=2 for clean (superbit) source without any obvious loss of detail. But this is brand new, experimental, and only for the Avisynth 2.5 alpha testing (SSEMMX only).

I intended this somewhat to be a simple example of a mixed YUY2 and YV12 (no RGB) filter. Anyway, see:

www.trbarry.com/Readme_UnDot.txt and
www.trbarry.com/UnDot.zip (source & dll)

And FWIW, after demuxing HDTV caps are basically just Vobs, YV12/mpeg2 video with ac3 sound except lots more pixels. They can have the same blocking and ringing problems as a DVD and can be IVTC'd and deinterlaced the same. But many of the same tools work and Avisynth/Virtualdub/Xvid is still the way to go. I recommend everybody get a HDTV card for captures if there are any stations where you live. It's like they are broadcasting free 1920x1080i DVD's (but cut for prime time audiences, the "airplane versions").

But because of the huge resolution they are pig slow to process which makes Sh0dans new YV12 support the neatest thing since sliced bread.

Thanks, Sh0dan.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote