View Single Post
Old 21st February 2019, 18:08   #23352  |  Link
el Filou

feature request only mix if less than 5 channels ?

@nevcairiel Would it be possible to add an option to the Mixing feature like 'only mix if less than 5 channels' ?

Explanation: I don't bitstream, and sometimes I encounter sources that need to be modified to output them in LPCM over my HDMI which only accepts 2.0, 5.1, and 7.1 (no idea if it's a limitation of the AVR, the HDMI standard, Windows, or NVIDIA ). Now, LAV has specific options to handle 1.0 > 2.0 and 6.1 > 7.1 and also an option to convert the rest to 5.1 by adding silent channels, but for cases like these:
- 4.0 L C R BC
- 4.0 L R SL SR
- 3.0 (or 3.1) L C R (LFE) (just encountered such a track on the Shin Godzilla Blu-ray which prompted me to ask)

-- so basically anything that is more than 2.0 but less than 5.0/5.1 -- I prefer to downmix them to 2.0 and then use PLII(x) in my receiver to upmix back rather than add silent channels because that doesn't sound as immersive.
An option 'only mix if less than 5 channels' would be great: LAV could then be configured to mix all those cases to 2.0 but not touch 5.1/6.1/7.1.

Thanks a lot if this sounds reasonable to you.

PS: maybe someone is going to answer that I could just enable mixing to 5.1/7.1 and check 'don't mix stereo sources', but I tried it and it doesn't apply PLII(x) decoding when doing that which I would like.