View Single Post
Old 25th March 2015, 11:35   #1983  |  Link
hello_hello

What sort of issues with MT Avisynth?

Maybe you could try replacing the relevant plugins with the versions listed here if you're not using them already.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...50#post1699950
And while I don't use MT Avisynth myself, this version of MaskTools2 is the fastest of all the versions I've tried and it doesn't slow to a crawl if the source isn't mod16. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MaskTools2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
.....although given my wont of using SelectRangeEvery(1000,66) to (rather reasonablly) guesstimate a video bit rate I'll have to modify my approach.
Do you aim for a particular file size? I prefer CRF encoding myself, even though the file sizes vary all over the place.

I've been working on a video that's being more difficult than usual. The video quality is pretty high, but there's very fine grain in places. It's "moving" so fast it's virtually unnoticeable when watching the video at normal speed, but it's making it hard to re-encode at a reasonable bitrate. Unless I use a high bitrate the encoder turns the grain into "moving blocks" (for want of a better description) where the image is mostly a solid colour (a wall in the background etc) and that makes it noticeable. So far QTGMC's EzDenoise is resulting in some horrible banding so I've been experimenting with SMDegrain and at the moment SMDegrain followed by LSFMod (both default settings) seems to be working the best. It's doing a good job removing the noise and with LFSMod it looks a tad sharper than the original (I don't like sharpening as a rule).

While I was playing around with this one I had a close look at what QTGMC was doing in places, and on occasion I found artefacts similar to those in the cartoon screenshots I posted earlier. Unlike the cartoon screenshots though, it'd be very unlikely you'd see them without pausing on individual frames and comparing them to the source (which I was doing) as they weren't as prominent and only seemed to occur where there was fast motion and a lot of contrast. I did discover though, the artefacts seemed to be reduced by using the medium speed preset rather than the default settings, so I'll have to experiment a bit more there.

Mind you SMDGrain isn't perfect either. I found a few places where it had some adverse effects where there was motion, although once again nothing you'd see while the frames running at normal speed.