View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 15:13   #10022  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
same here. shutdown doesn't do anything on win7 prof (with admin rights).
Ok, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlord View Post
I have just encoutered a nasty problem using eac3to 3.17.
When converting 5.1 48kHz dts files to 5.1 flac, eac3to just stopped without error, leaving an unfinished file and no log. It happen only with one file out of ten.
Even worse, rerunning the identical command line once more, the problem does not appear anymore.
This has happend twice in the last couple of days.
Could be a bug in eac3to. But since nobody else has reported a similar problem yet, I'd say there's a good chance that maybe your PC is unstable in some way? Don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlord View Post
Meanwhile, I have an idea what could be causing my problem. I remember running two instances of eac3to at the same time. Is this considered a bad idea?
I don't think so. Except maybe for Surcode encoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorp View Post
I'm interested in slowing down some 24.000fps Blu-rays to 23.976fps, since it's the preferred standard for my 60hz sets. Most of them are originally 16-bit though, and since slowing them down with eac3to increases their bitdepth to 24-bit, that takes some of them over the 25GB limit for SL disc burning (after converted back to DTS-MA with the DTS encoder). I'm not gonna waste a BD50 to fit on an extra 800MB or so. I know I can reduce them back down to 16-bit with the -down16 option but I'm worried about the effect all the conversions would have on quality. 16->64->24->16 is a lot of steps. Should I just live with 24fps or will there not be any noticeable sound quality difference after all the conversions?
The biggest potential sound quality drop will come from resampling the audio. It's hard to say how big the difference will be, though. You can try comparing the 24.000 original to the 23.976 conversion with good headphones. You might hear a small change in the audio pitch (much much less than the PAL Micky Mouse effect, and in the opposite direction), but apart from that quality shouldn't suffer too much. eac3to does not usually do 16->64->24->16. Instead it directly does 16->64->16, if you specify "-down16". Of course if you slowdown first and save that as 24bit FLAC and then downsample to 16bit in a separate step you do have 16->64->24->16. But let me say that no human being is able to hear any quality loss caused from reducing 64->24. The experts all agree on that. Some experts even say that 24->16 does not cause any audible loss in quality, as long as proper dithering is applied (which eac3to does), but not everybody agrees here. If the 24->16 conversion does have a negative impact, it can only be a very slightly higher noise floor. If you want to go safe, you can use any bitdepth value between 24 and 16 bit. Every bit you lose saves space, when using lossless compression. E.g. use "-down18" to dither down to 18bit. That way the noise floor will be 4x lower than when using 16bit. But as I said before, the biggest quality issue will be the resampling itself.

BTW, personally I'm also modding all 24.000 Blu-Ray movies to 23.976. However, for such movies I store the original audio track, too, just to be safe...