View Single Post
Old 21st February 2012, 21:51   #1552  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
Hi Samuri

I only backup Movie. Do you convert to MKV rather than straight to ISO just to get rid of the BDMV overhead file size.
That's correct, yea. MakeMKV, which I currently use, takes the streams as is from the BD and sticks them in an MKV container. This reduces the size quite a bit vs an ISO. Even vs a movie only ISO, believe it or not. MKV is a very efficient container. When I switched most of my ISOs over to MKV a long time back, I reclaimed many gigs of space in the process. The other nice thing is that because they are smaller and single file, they stream across the network like butter. So what I do is set up libraries on each machine in J River MC17, and then when I want to watch a movie or show, I open that up in theater view, select the one I want, and I'm off and running no matter which machine I use in the house. Cinavia never enters the picture at all for me in that case. I literally have to check the back cover to see if it has Cinavia on it. Or I guess I could try to stream it to my PS3 but why?