View Single Post
Old 8th August 2013, 14:58   #19805  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
That TV I just mentioned also offers BFI, but it really dims the picture.....to the point that whatever I do, gamma gets utterly dark >90 IRE, that's just painful and unacceptable.

So indeed BFI in mVR could be useful but it would require a display with a lot of extra brightness available, and of course clouding/light bleeding would become more visible. This might very well not be worth the hassle as the best way is to turn off the backlight really: Display motion blur
Oops! As it turns out, that TV was a bit out-of-specs as I just bought another one for a relative and it's still plenty bright after BFI has been enabled.....so I'm sending mine back for a refund and once I get ahold of the new graphic card I just ordered, I'll be happy to provide feedback on the FRC+BFI combo @60Hz

Still, BFI is prolly indeed better done in the display as if it wasn't designed for it, it might very well not be bright enough(as this literally cuts down the effective brightness by more or less two).....my first TV could barely reach 90 cd/mē with BFI enabled

Can't wait to go for full blown J3AR scaling with FRC+BFI@60Hz, you sir really are our savior

PS: now all I'd need a picture viewer that does J3, OTOH I think there are DShow decoders for JPG but mVR wouldn't appear to support portrait so reading comics might be compromised

Last edited by leeperry; 8th August 2013 at 17:09.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote