View Single Post
Old 28th July 2013, 22:13   #16  |  Link
TurboPascal7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretindesalpes View Post
When avstp_set_threads() is called with 4, there are exactly 4 working threads, because the main thread is also a working thread. Check the individual thread load with Process Explorer to make sure. I’ll mention it in the documentation. Maybe this misunderstanding is the cause of the slowdown you noticed previously?
Yes, this was the cause of the slowdown, that's why I said "nevermind the performance part". Basically I allocated one more task to avstp threads running on the assumption that number of threads returned by avstp == number of threads in the pool.

I still think it's an API problem. Avstp is a thread pool - nothing more. Whatever a user is doing with his main thread should not concern it. When a user calls get_nbr_threads in avstp, it expects to get number of threads in avstp, not number of threads + 1 because it assumes that you're doing some work in the main thread. I think the fact that I spent some time using this library in a wrong way speaks for itself.

Or maybe it's just me and having more opinions would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretindesalpes View Post
But why “nbr” is bad?
It's just a bad naming practice. Calling it "number" won't make your program slower, but will make reading it a bit easier. Of course, in my opinion.
TurboPascal7 is offline   Reply With Quote