View Single Post
Old 12th June 2004, 13:08   #5  |  Link
tritical

@Dali Lama
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too surprised by the results you got with TTempSmooth. It would never be able to compete with faerydust (especially on moving areas since it is designed not to touch them ). faerydust uses ME to do temporal smoothing on moving areas (even though it is a temporal smoother it also does light spatial smoothing as well I think). TTempSmooth is a simple fixed position smoother like TemporalSmoother, TemporalSoften, etc... After I played around with it more it seems the averaging/smoothing didn't turn out exactly how I thought it would. Though the motion detection works well. I may have to go back to the drawing board on that one and experiment with some different methods. I might try to combine it with TBilateral and make a motion adaptive smoother.

@MfA
I looked into that alternative approach to a LUT. Actually, I searched doom9 for bilateral and it turns out that someone had already coded a bilateral filter, and used that method . After looking at it I have no idea whether it would be faster then the LUT method. I didn't/don't plan to do an asm version of TBilateral though, and the LUT is easier for me to get right without messing something up . I'll probably just stick with it.

P.S. Posted version 0.9.2 of TBilateral, I unrolled some of the inner loops to avoid boundary calculations and checking, giving a slight speed gain.
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote