View Single Post
Old 25th March 2012, 12:22   #12873  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

namaiki, have you tried the FSE (old path) by unchecking 'Present Frames in Advance'? I'd test that out with various settings both with and without Aero. Use Reclock as well, if you're not already. FSE (old path) behaves more similarly to Windowed mode in that it only presents unique frames as needed, not every single VSync like FSE (new path).

In my experience, NVIDIA GPUs are unable to use the default FSE (new path) effectively, especially at higher refresh rates. They seems to run into presentation performance issues when presenting many frames in advance, resulting in either glitches or stuttering w/o glitches (frames silently dropped which are not reported by madVR). For peak performance with the default FSE (new path) and an NVIDIA GPU, you need to set the frames presented in advanced to a low value of 2 or 3 frames. At that point it's just matter of how sensitive you are to an occasional missed VSync.

I concur with ryrynz, that if you can't get FSE working well enough, there is nothing wrong with sticking with Windowed when using an NVIDIA GPU.
In general with NVIDIA GPUs, Windowed > FSE (old path) >>>> FSE (new path).
In general with ATI GPUs, FSE (new path) >> FSE (old path) >>> Windowed.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th March 2012 at 13:19.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote