View Single Post
Old 14th March 2011, 11:37   #11  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonliu View Post
unfortunately, it doesnt matter.

the xbox (old xbox, not the 360) simply cannot render H.264 of any reasonable quality.
My command-lines are for MPEG-4 ASP encoding (same as XviD), not H.264. I suggested FFmpeg because it can handle the whole process without complex external dependencies.

Just try and see how it works!

Quote:
it can handle 720p with bitrates as high as 3500 average, but encoded as 2 pass so that the bitrates obviously spike and dip and I have no idea what bitrates it maxes out with
I gave command lines for 2-pass encoding with 3500 kbps average and 4500 kbps maximum bitrate (with 1-second buffer).

Quote:
it is my belief, though I may be wrong, that "media player" primarily utilizes the Xbox's CPU (which is something like a 750 mhz pentium 3)...

it is my belief, though I may be wrong, that the "DVD playe" primarily uses the Xbox's GPU, which is significantly more powerful, not only as a graphics rendering system, but also for raw computational power.
Well, I haven't looked at the code but I'm pretty sure both players only use CPU for decoding and they use the same FFmpeg/libmpeg2 decoders. Some filtering may be done on the GPU and the players may be configured to do different things to the video.

Quote:
ultimately though, I believe that no one has written the software for H.264, nor does the hardware itself work particularly well with this decoder.
H.264 is much harder to decode than MPEG-4 ASP on a general purpose CPU. Especially with CABAC and in-loop deblocking.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote