View Single Post
Old 21st October 2011, 00:40   #10308  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltron View Post
The latest madVR has additional info with ^J. Among other things I see a "limited range (says upstream/bitstream)". Is this referring to RGB output levels 16-235 v.s. 0-255?
No, it's referring to the input levels. The output levels are always what you specified for your display in the settings.

Quote:
Also, I am in the process of doing 10 bit encoding of some of my movies. I noticed that movies I ripped with Clown_BD (uses eac3to) show "limited range (says upstream)" and once I re-encode with 10bit x264 I see "limited range (says bitstream)". If my assumption that by limited range refers to 16-235, is there a setting in the x264 encoder that will 0-255? Am I just hopelessly confused??
Don't worry, you generally want to encode 16-235. Also, about the “upstream” vs “bitstream” issue I'm guessing upstream means the filter guessed it, and bitstream means it's written into the file headers itself. Either that, or it's the other way around.