View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2019, 14:55   #16921  |  Link
Ryushin

Batch 4K HDR Sources with Forced Subtitle

I'm not sure if this is just related to just 4K HDR sources or not (doubt it), but I've been making 720p HDR files (streaming and for mobile devices) from my 4K HDR sources. When importing them in batch, if the MKV file contains a forced subtitle, Ripbot does not not add the specific subtitle as a forced subtitle.

Just as an aside, I found, at least on Sony TV's, that if I burn in the subtitles (especially in to push them into black bars) into the 4K HDR file, the TV will dim the picture slightly when the subtitle shows up. But it does not do this if I use a muxed subtitle.

So I had to switch from using burned in subtitles to a forced muxed subtitle when using 4K HDR sources. Plex inside of Kodi will display the subtitle correctly by default but using Plex I have to remember I have a forced subtitle and to select it before playing back the film.

I will continue to burn in subtitles in non HDR sources though. Atak, is it possible to not convert sup to sub when burning in subtitles. I noticed it does this regardless of the setting in the ini file.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote