View Single Post
Old 18th May 2019, 21:11   #3178  |  Link
manolito

Thanks for digging out this 2 year old stuff. It was amazing for me to see how I got carried away quite a bit in my disgust about the AVS+ devs deliberately breaking backward compatibility to classic AVS. But my points are still valid.

And so far (to the best of my knowledge) this is the only occasion where AVS+ is not compatible with classic AVS.

Luckily this has only a minor impact for AVStoDVD. If the selected source filter can output 32-bit float audio then there is no problem if the script contains SSRC. For LAV audio this means that the user should not disable 32-bit float audio in the audio filter setup. For all audio source formats I use LAV audio will output 32-bit float as long as the user has not disabled it.

FFMS2 also outputs 32-bit float audio by default, there is no problem with AVS+.

But integrating AVS+ support into AVStoDVD still can cause problems. Just adding a "Prefetch()" command at the end of the AVS script won't be enough. There are many older AVS plugins which need special treatment when multithreading is enabled.

I had numerous problems with random crashes until almosely posted this:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...79#post1865279

There are a couple of older filters which need to be run in MT_SERIALIZED mode, sometimes requiring an additional "RequestLinear" command. Colormatrix is one of the problematic filters. After a lot of experimentation I managed to get AVS+ running absolutely stable on my machine, but the speed gain from multithreading is far from spectacular. All the additional AVS+ features like support for high bit depth and fancy color spaces are irrelevant for AVStoDVD since the DVD format only supports 8-bit with 4-2-0 color space (YV12).

So I really do not know if AVS+ support is essential for AVStoDVD. My FF_VBR and HCenc_Mod plugins do support it already, but they require a little bit of effort from the users.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote