View Single Post
Old 25th January 2013, 10:08   #17187  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyoh View Post
i'm using the right arrow key for frame skipping so if try to skip many frames at the same time the video frames will stuck at the same frame until i remove my finger from the key

i'm using latest madvr + latest mpc + latest lav filter
I'm not sure, but this might have to do with the speed of your PC. Are you using DXVA or CUVID decoding? Try software decoding. Or try using Bilinear for everything, just to check if that makes the problem go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
What would be the final solution for 24p @ 60 Hz then?

1, 1, 1-2 (blended), 2, 2, 3, 3, 3-4 (blended), 4, 4.... ?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
I am curious if this would create ghost image effect during the transition while motion blur effect has already existed in the 24-fps FILM-captured images...
I don't see why there would be a ghost image effect. Frame blending is used all the time to bring old NTSC 60i TV series to PAL 50i TV and it's not "visible" during motion. Of course when using it to reduce the fps, it reduces quality by making everything quite a bit softer. But that problem shouldn't apply when increasing fps significantly. I expect a proper 24 -> 60 solution to look almost identical to true 24 -> 24 playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
I understand. Could you explain in more detail exactly what makes this complicated to deal with? I want to make sure I have a solid answer if people ask me. Oh yeah just one more thing. When I open the madVR OSD with ReClock, my "clock deviation" is always between 0.30218 or similar. The moment I start using DirectSound instead it goes back to 0.00001. Do you know what could cause this to happen? It never gave me any problems, but I'm curious about it. Did some search about what "clock deviation" is and never found an answer too.
There are 3 clocks during video playback:

(1) System clock ("time").
(2) Video refresh rate.
(3) Audio hardware clock.

The system clock really doesn't have anything to do with video playback, but madVR uses it to measure and compare the other two clocks. Now it is possible (even probable) that the system clock is not perfect. But that's not a big problem because if it's e.g. slightly too fast, both video and audio clocks will be measured wrong in the exact same way, so everything's fine.

If the video and audio hardware clocks are "perfect", there should be no dropped or repeated frames (if your PC is fast enough). However, video and audio clocks are usually both imperfect. If both are imperfect in the same way (e.g. being 0.1% too fast), again there's no problem. But if the amount of "deviation from perfectness" of audio and video clocks is not identical then madVR has to either drop frames (video clock slower than audio clock) or repeat frames (video clock faster than audio clock) to make sure video and audio stay in sync.

The refresh rate as shown in the first line in the madVR OSD is madVR's measurement of the video clock, measured by using the system clock. The audio "deviation" in the madVR OSD shows how much the audio clock deviates from "perfectness", measured by the system clock. If e.g. the measured refresh rate is 24.24000Hz (1% too fast for 24.000 content) and the audio deviation is exactly 1%, too, then there should be no frame drops/repeats. If the video/audio deviation differs, there have to be drops or repeats.

Reclock replaces the audio clock. Through real-time audio resampling Reclock makes sure that the audio clock exactly matches the video clock. This way madVR doesn't have to drop or repeat frames. E.g. if the video clock is 0.1% too fast then Reclock makes sure that the audio clock is also 0.1% too fast. Things get more complicated if you ask Reclock to change the playback fps. In that case I would expect the measured audio clock deviation to be much bigger. E.g. if you play 24p content at 25/50Hz I would expect the audio deviation measurement to show a roughly 4% deviation because Reclock achieves the fps change by running the audio clock much faster or slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oline 61 View Post
On madVR 0.85.7 I was using display modes "1920x1200p24, 1920x1200p25, 1920x1200p30" and everything was working fine.
Version 0.85.8 no longer switches to 1920x1200p30 for 30 fps material and instead uses 1920x1200p24. Switching back to 0.85.7 fixes this.

System is Windows 7 on old Athlon 64 and nVidia 9400GT with a Samsung T240HD monitor connected via DVI.
Hmmmm... I've changed the logic a bit in v0.85.8. In earlier versions 60i content was treated as needing 30Hz, unless DXVA deinterlacing was turned on. In that case it was treated as needing 60Hz. In v0.85.8 60i content is always treated as needing 60Hz, unless madVR knows for sure that DXVA deinterlacing won't be needed. So my best guess is that madVR asks for a 60p mode, but doesn't find it in your list. I'm not sure why it then ends up with 24p. I guess it's because 60i content can sometimes be IVTCed back to 24p. But I guess it would make more sense to use 30p in this situation. I'll put that on my to do list for the next build.

However, I'm wondering if your list of resolutions really makes sense. There is only very very few real 30p content. Most is either film content (after IVTC 24p) or video content (after DXVA deinterlacing 60p). Is your display not able to accept 1080p60?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote