View Single Post
Old 8th February 2012, 19:27   #12016  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Now instead of close I get crash. (MPC-HC)
Should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
BTW. What do you think about using 7-zip(LZMA2) instead of zip(Deflate)? I have made little comparison:
madVR.zip = 3.88 MB || madVR.7z = 2.37 MB
libmfxsw32.zip = 3.72 MB || libmfxsw32.7z = 2.08 MB
It would save some bandwidth.
Power users may have 7zip installed. But many "normal" users don't, so I think I should better keep using zip for better compatability. Probably once I reach v1.0, I'm going to offer an installer package which then can use a better compression algorithm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouArePro View Post
Yes my 13" inch 2010 model macbook pro's gpu is integrated into the cpu with shared memory. However, it used to work fine with windows XP professional 32 bit on my bootcamp before changing to windows 7 ultimate 32bit now.
Unfortunately my sister is gone for many months, and with her the laptop with shared GPU. So I don't have any way to test & fix this problem at the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflarex View Post
MPC-HC opened, without playing anything(Aero disabled):
GPU-Z reports 41MB of used GPU memory.
ProcessExplorer reports 26.9MB(dedicated memory) and 26.3MB(system memory)

Playing a 1080p video using madVR:
madVR reports usage of 115MB.
GPU-Z reports usage of 413MB.
Process Explorer reports usage of 400MB(dedicated memory) and 153MB(system memory).

Something does seems odd...
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT, if that matters.

Edit: Not using any hardware decoding.
It does seem a bit odd. Do you have Aero/Desktop Composition enabled? What happens if you disable that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Madshi, new version is working A-OK aside from one minor difference which I tweaked. Basically I was also noticing frame drops and low queues with the auto settings which are determined by my GPU's ram total. I have re-attained smooth playback by setting the queues to CPU:12, GPU:8 and disabling use a separate thread for presentation to stop MPC-HC from hanging when skipping through files. Everything else is at defaults for me aside from also disabling decoding and changing scaling to: softcubic 70 - chroma, bicubic 75 luma up/down
FWIW, "use a separate thread for presentation" is off by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I'm getting alot of dropped frames with 080 compared to 079 with no settings changed. It seems with 080 getting batches of 5 presentation glitches every 15 to 20 seconds that cause the stutters on my 2nd gpu.

Confirmed its not happening with 079 (presentation glitches do not increment at all) on the same gpu.

I also noticed that with 080 an aero message shows in the stats (2nd line) that is not there in 079 when using identical settings. Is that normal?
Are we talking about exclusive mode? Anyway, if you didn't get that Aero message before and now you get it, something is weird. What happens if you tell madVR to disable Aero/Desktop Composition? Does that fix the dropped frames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin77 View Post
EDIT2 I reset settings and deactivated decoding and Use separate device for presentation, lowered GPU queue to 6 and that seems to fixed it. Scaling is set at Bicubic 60 for all. So it seems Auto settings are fracked.
JFMI, what is your GPU RAM size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I think there should be a configuration utility included with madVR to tweak all the settings GPU related. Honestly I'm fed up wit tweaking madVR so it won't drop frames. I set it to auto and it sets the GPU queue to 4, sometimes 5, sometimes 12 and then it works fine for an hour and after that it says the memory is 100MB over how much the card has. Then it brings it down to 4 and it starts dropping frames every 5 seconds. On top of that the refresh rate frame drop/repeat calculation is never steady and goes from seconds to minutes to hours and back to seconds. This is on two different computers with two completely different configurations in terms of CPU, RAM, GPU, and GPU RAM.
Well, if v0.80 doesn't work well for you, you can go back to an older version. FWIW, I'll probably drop the automatic CPU/GPU queue size stuff and always default to 16/8, while still allowing you to modify it. The refresh rate calculation should be quite steady. The frame drop/repeat estimate is just that: an estimate. I always said that you can't fully rely on it and that it takes a loooooong time to calm down. Just ignore it, if it never calms down on your PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I see dropped frames, usually in batches of 1 or 3 every 5 seconds visually and in the OSD in text. I'm very fed up because I have no idea what the problem is or how to possibly fix it since this didn't happen before.
Well, then just go back to an older build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovovick View Post
Thanks madshi for the new release, now Madvr 0.8 works fine with Nvidia Optimus GT550 and MPC-HC or Pot Player
It does?? Don't know what I've changed to make it work. Are we talking about Windows 7 here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadllhead View Post
I'm wondering if any of you guys could help me out?
Have been using MadVR for a few months and it's been glitch free but ive recently changed my tv and avamp and updated LAV filters and MadVR to the latest versions and now the playback isn't smooth. I get slight juddering which you notice when the camera is panning across the screen sometimes the sound cuts out for a split second.
cpu is intel core2 6700, nividia gt430, 4gb ram. I use MPC-HC with LAV and MadVR playing 1080p DTS-MA mkv files mainly.
What should i be looking for when i press ctrl-j? I don't really understand a lot of what im looking at but would appreciate some pointers...
Thanks
Important things to check are the refresh rate (it should be a clean multiply of the movie frame rate, e.g. for Blu-Rays you should ideally use a 23.976Hz refresh rate) and the information about dropped/repeated/glitched frames. If you have dropped/... frames then your CPU/GPU is too slow to keep up with the content and settings you've chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shah Jahan View Post
Can madVR be used to watch 3D movies like Half-SBS, Full-SBS, Over and Under?

If so how?
Well, if the movie is encoded that way and you just want madVR to "pass it through" to the display, then that should be possible, but you'll probably need to setup a custom resolution for Full-SBS. If you mean that madVR should automatically take any Blu-Ray movie and convert it for you to SBS, or if you mean that madVR should send any 3D content through HDMI 1.4 as "frame packed" then that's not supported yet. Currently madVR does not know do anything 3D specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
Is there going to be a version with 10bit output instead of 8bit?
Probably, at some point in time. But probably not very soon because the benefit isn't very high, thanks to dithering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouArePro View Post
Now I can play the videos in my kmplayer using madvr under windows xp sp3 compatibility mode. If i disable the compatibility xp mode, the kmp will always hang.
When the next build (v0.81) is out, can you create a freeze report for me? I'll explain how in the release notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Thank you for IVTC!
If the stream is like that

can not switch to film mode (cntrl+alt+shift+t). OSD (cntrl+j) does not say anything about IVTC.
That is DVD content in .mkv.
You may have to activate deinterlacing first (ctrl+alt+shift+d), then switch to film mode after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Madshi, regarding FSE mode, is it likely that possible future versions may be less likely to glitch?
When I had an AMD card glitches weren't an issue but with Nvidia card it's a different story.
I've settled for the occasional glitch rather than the low queues and it's working out okay.
Is there any you would be looking into ease of playback on Nvidia's hardware in the future? Or is the current code already designed to suit everything as well as it can? Thanks.
I don't think there's anything I can do about NVidia glitches. From my point of view it's a clear NVidia driver issue. All those funny tweak options for avoiding glitches, plus the D3D10 presentation path are things I implemented just to help NVidia users avoid those nasty glitches. I've spent weeks developing all that stuff. I think the only way forward would be to convince NVidia to fix the problem in their drivers. For that I'm planning to create a demo project (with full source code) to demonstrate the problem to NVidia without needing madVR. Maybe with the help of that NVidia might be willing to fix the problem. That demo project will take some time to develop, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I have had a little time and have done more testing with 080 and the dropped frame issue I have. I have discovered that enabling 'overshoot max frame latency' in FSE mode fixes the dropped frames but creates other issues that don't happen if I enable the debug mode for logging (using the same settings).

With the release version with above enabled the render and present queues gradually drop and don't recover. After a short time lip sync issues appear. I enabled the debug mode to get a log for you, however while the render and present queues drop they actually recover so its impossible for me to get you a log of whats happening in the release build.

This is not happening in 079 and I also have no need to use 'overshoot max frame latency' to get stable playback with the previous version. This is something that started with 080. I also noticed that with 080 an aero message shows in the stats on the 2nd line (composition rate) that is not there in 079 when using identical settings (I do not disable aero for playback). Is that normal?
Can you please test whether the issues go away if you tell madVR to disable aero for playback? That would prove that aero is causing the issues. The big question is why you get aero with 080 while you don't get it for 079. It might have to do with a fix I implemented in 080 to work around aero not recognizing a new refresh rate quickly enough. In order to fix that I sometimes disable and reenable aero. Might be that this fix makes problems in your case for some reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
Ok, so ive found the problem. The problem is when i havent got CCC running the color shift appears on ALL videos. If i execute the CCC the color shift is gone, but now only the washed out picture is available :/
That sounds really weird. FWIW, the washed out picture sounds like a simple PC vs. video levels issue. These kind of driver problems is the exact reason why madVR tries to avoid DXVA if possible. We are talking about playback with DXVA deinterlacing, or are we not? Or do you have the same problems without DXVA deinterlacing, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
1) Problem with ivtc and ffdshow video decoder

If I use ffdshow video decoder, I can't use your ivtc.

I can use your ivtc only with your video decoder or lav video decoder.
Can you explain what you mean with "I can't use your ivtc" exactly? I don't understand what you mean. FWIW, one ivtc related bug in ffdshow has recently been fixed so you might need to get a newer ffdshow build. Also make sure that in ffdshow you disable the option "decoder options -> detect soft telecine [...]". And in "output" activate "set interlaced flag [...]".

Quote:
2) When I use ivtc, mpc osd (in window mode) indicate 30 fps (fraps show 24fps i nwindows mode) and not 24 fps. Is it normal?
In ctrl+j here is:
deinterlacing on
film mode, cadence 3:2
Which MPC OSD do you mean exactly? Anyway, it's probably not a problem.

Quote:
3) in madvr here is in rendering settings:
adjust queue sizes to gpu ram size.

What means? By default it is checked. Is it good or not?
This setting will probably be gone in the next build, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Maybe stupid question but does catalyst A.I. affect madVR's PQ???
Don't know. Not sure what A.I. does exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
I now have a Radeon 6570 and use MPC-HC and LAV to playback my 1080/60p camcorder footage. With madVR selected as the renderer, my videos playback like a slide show. If I select EVR Custom Pres., my videos playback just fine.

Previous setup worked fine as well and the only difference there was the graphics card (GeForce 520) and I had CUVID enabled in the LAV video decoder settings (obviously I can't use CUVID now with my new Radeon card).

NOTE: My interlaced footage (from older camcorder) looks much better (smoother, less artifacts) with madVR and my Radeon (vs. madVR + the GeForce 520). My 720/60p GoPro footage looks good too so looks like just my 1080/60p content is an issue with madVR.
Please press Ctrl+J and check whether the decoder queue is near empty or full. If the decoder queue is full then your GPU can't keep up. If your decoder queue is empty then your CPU can't keep up.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote