View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2004, 03:15   #613  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally posted by kempfand
As a matter of fact, the discussion if and how to dither already started before it was re-vived here:

- BeSweet/BeSplit : 24 bit Question

- 24 bit

and was actually triggered for me by reading advice a couple of years back:

- Best way to downsample ?
Andreas, before I wrote my above statement, I searched the forum for "dither" and confirmed that I was the first in this thread to bring it up, in terms of discussing the need for it when converting back to 16 bits. I wasn't at all looking for "brownie points" or for attention, but in fact I was trying to subtly make a point. You wrote:

Quote:
Nearly all statements from audio pros I have been reading so for strongly recommend dithering, and therefore we indtroduced it with the bidules.
This implies that you got the idea from reading and then directly decided to implement it. There's no mention that we already discussed this in the forum after I brought it up. Again, I don't want a pat on the back, I'd be writing this right now just the same way if someone else had brought it up, but I do see this as a pattern. Whenever there's a new bidule, instead of just saying here it is, there's a preambule about all the "hard work" that's gone into it. What about all the others who develop guides and bidules? Daphy, for example, makes everyone feel welcome and equally important by immediately putting their work on his forum. His enthusiasm for the joy of the technology is evident. None of them seem to need to talk about all their hard work. What really shocked me was when I clicked on the link in the the following post to this very thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...574#post509574

and then saw a guide for SAD5.1 bidule that states: "The hard work and hours of testing and trying is a co-operation of Kempfand and Eye of Horus." I searched the guide for mention of the guy who came up with the original concept behind SAD5.1, Kpex, but I didn't see any mention of him whatsoever! Even in the version of the guide posted on EoH's web site, Kpex is mentioned simply as one of several contributers. I'm sorry but this really doesn't seem fair. Yes, I know you might have "improved" on his method as stated in the thread by doing it in a bidule and converting to 32-bits, but at least give the guy credit for having come up with the initial concept!

Anyway, I'm not trying to make a major issue out of this, I just think it's about time someone pointed it out. I'm sure you don't intend to make others feel slighted. To be fair, Andreas, you have gone out of your way a couple of times to praise everyone who contributes, but these little statements counteract that. Yes EoH started this thread. Yes, as I wrote last night, he is to be congratuled for having done so. However, the thread has evolved into a mini-forum on upmixing and as such everyone who contributes should be recognized for their "hard work" and when someone's idea is used, it's nice to at least make a gesture acknowledging that fact. It belongs to all of us now, so I think if we can get rid of all this unpleasantness and implied hierachy of importance, things would go better. So let's share ideas with a little more respect.

Regards,
Steve.

Last edited by ursamtl; 23rd June 2004 at 18:26.