View Single Post
Old 29th August 2002, 11:14   #13  |  Link
Palikrovol

Confused

Hello.
i'm a bit confused about some terms.

What is the difference between MP4 and MPEG4 (sometimes i see they are used for the same thing )

MP4 is used for streaming?

DivX is an enhenced mpeg4 codec? I have read divx, xvid, ... are based on mpeg4.

Microsoft mpeg-4 (mp41, mp42, mp43) are different version of mp4 and therefor for the same porpose or in the contrary are like divx, xvid, ...

I also have read that in mp4 is used the aac audio codec (this aac can be used to any other thing)

And the vp3 is a codec for streaming like mp4? are they in the same group as divX and Xvid are in the same gruop? (i mean, are they used for the same porpose?)

As you can see i'm a bit confused with all this things

I think there are many people with the same confusing problems, so maybe is a good idea to make a faq or a sticky thread explaining this terms (could also be included in this thread the differences between ogg vorbis, the ogg container, ogm , etc. Many people think ogg and vorbis is the same thing. When i began with this terms i thought the same, and really understood it after many thread reads and web exploring). There was a thread about the naming of files, ogg vs ogm time ago and i think there was proposed a thread explaining the differences but don't now how it ended
Palikrovol is offline   Reply With Quote