View Single Post
Old 7th December 2017, 11:51   #373  |  Link
bstrobl

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
I'm sure there are massive potential gains that can be squeezed out by real-world encoders. Something like x264 and x265 can run rings around the reference encoders with real-world long form content using real-world parameters, and still be orders of magnitude faster.

It just takes a whole lot of development that's out of scope of defining a bitstream to get those gains. Codec development focused on PSNR @ Constant QP also runs the risk of over optimizing for a design where QP correlates highly with PSNR.
Doesn't HEVC do the same thing to an extend? Besides, the VP9 base will still be prominent in AV1 due to limited development time and the desire for reusability of components by chipset manufacturers.

The fact that AV1 does well when compared to x265 with a five year head start is neat, but I won't deny the fact that this was a somewhat rushed development.

My guess is most desirable features and improvements will only come with AV2, when the Alliance have most of the development kinks worked out.
bstrobl is offline   Reply With Quote