View Single Post
Old 8th August 2010, 00:33   #14  |  Link
pwimmer

I've addressed the issues you noticed.

* The license terms are less strict.

* A Doom9 thread cannot be a copyright holder, only individuals. Of course I'll add other contributers as well. Let me know name & email address.

* VIDEOPROPS will always be optional because in many causes the information is unknown. In this case I prefer the value "unknown" instead of forcing a filter to write some mess in these fields. If it is "unknown", it gives the application the chance to the ask the user or apply application-specific defaults.

* You should define new FOURCCs for currently unsupported bit depths. Using existing FOURCCs with wrong bit depths will introduce more problems than it solves because developers will not expect other bit depths than those defined by Microsoft. Is there really content with unusual bit depths? The H.264 spec is very flexible, but that doesn't mean that all possible combinations are used in practice. Lets see the optinion of other people on this issue...

* Using dwPictAspectRatioX and dwPictAspectRatioY is a very convenient way to make squeezed stereo files display properly in 2D media players. Although the output is not stereo but still two views, at least the image is not distored. Imho it is a clean solution, it is pretty much the same situation as with anamorphic 2D content. dwPictAspectRatioX and dwPictAspectRatioY are designed for the purpose of making the video display in the proper aspect ratio, so why not use it for stereo content as well? Anyway, I added an alternative that allows to leave dwPictAspectRatioX and dwPictAspectRatioY untouched: StereoFlags_HalfHorizontalResolution and StereoFlags_HalfVerticalResolution. But I would allow both methods.

* I modified the text to mention "multiview" in addition to "stereoscopic". As multiview content is typically used for autostereoscopic displays, I do not consider the term "stereoscopic" wrong or inappropriate. The specification currently doesn't cover any other use of multiview content than for autostereoscopic displays. If somebody is familiar with other usage scenarios of multiview content (e.g. multi viewpoint video) and has suggestion what could be added to better support such scenarios, then let me know.

* I completely gave up the union stuff in favor of a flat structure.

* The concept of a passthrough matrix is rather confusing and I doubt any filter developer would support it. I added a much simpler feature that allows to find out if a media type is the native one: The flags AdvancedFlags_NativeFormatUnknown, AdvancedFlags_NativeFormatTrue and AdvancedFlags_NativeFormatFalse.

* I have different "STEREOLAYOUT_SIDEBYSIDELEFTFIRST" and "SIDEBYSIDERIGHTFIRST" GUIDs because I want the GUIDs to be as precise as possible. "Views must be ordered from left to right" only applies to the STEREOLAYOUT_MULTIBUFFER GUID. A filter can easily change the order by swapping pointers while it would mean memcpys for other layouts. Thus I only created a single GUID for the multi buffer layout but not for the other layouts. I updated the comments to clarify the issue.

* The latest version contains many new stereo layouts and desciptions for all layouts. Most notably, I added STEREOLAYOUT_UNKNOWN that should be used instead STEREOLAYOUT_MONOSCOPIC if the actual content is unknown.

* The latest version also includes many new fields in the new STEREOLAYOUTPROPS structure, e.g. orientation (rotation and flipping), cropping, parallax adjustment. All these stuff is used and required in practice, e.g. for content recorded with mirror rigs, beam splitter or other optical stereo attachments.

Last edited by pwimmer; 8th August 2010 at 04:07.
pwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote