View Single Post
Old 21st July 2011, 08:29   #216  |  Link
cretindesalpes
͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿

Dither 1.9.5 released:
  • Bug fixed in Dither_resize16(), displaying green bars when SSE2 optimisations are disabled.
  • Better check of stack16 clip dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
As a last question, Im forcing to proces Dither_y_gamma_to_linear in PC range to have more data to work with. Do you think this is more detrimental than beneficial?
TV range is all about keeping a headroom for the ringing causing by some filters (resizers, sharpeners…), so with PC range this headroom is lost. But this is not a big difference, and the bottom headroom is cleared by the gamma/linear conversion anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_ View Post
the compositing application I'm importing them into assumes linear. So does the Dither_y_gamma_to_linear function serve this purpose?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it only necessary to linearize the luma, more accurate and technically correct to do it that way before the conversion to RGB, rather than a typical 0.45 reverse gamma on all channels in RGB data after conversion?
GammaYUV -> linearYUV -> linearRGB will give you wrong colors. Inverse colorspace conversions should be done in the same gamma/linearity as the forward conversion. For gamma YUV to linear RGB conversion you can use:

Code:
Dither_convert_yuv_to_rgb (output="rgb48y")
Dither_y_gamma_to_linear (tv_range_in=false, tv_range_out=false)
Dither_convey_rgb48_on_yv12 (
\   SelectEvery (3, 0),
\   SelectEvery (3, 1),
\   SelectEvery (3, 2) )
Quote:
Also as the source was encoded with a BT709 transfer curve not sRGB 2.2, to undo that ie: linearize YCbCr, I should be assuming something like the reciprocal of 2.35? If I understand correctly this helps prevent compressing shadow detail that can occur applying 0.45 to BT709 source?
You're right, it appears that BT709 doesn't use the same transfer curve as sRGB, the slope at 0 in sRGB is much steeper than in BT709. If you want to linearize the R'G'B' components converted from the BT709 Y'CbCr, apply on each one : R = R'/4.5 if R' < 0.081 or R = ((R' + 0.099) / 1.099) ^ (1/0.45) if R' ≥ 0.081. The formula are the same as in sRGB, but with different values. I will add the BT709 mode to Dither conversion functions in a future release.