View Single Post
Old 25th March 2017, 15:33   #1432  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitemice View Post
1. I want to know why you choose to unpack the necessary codecs etc from the main executable every time you start the program? In my opinion this is unnecessary? especially on ssd?
Because it gives a very nice "all in one" application that just works "out of the box" and doesn't depend on anything. This way LameXP can also be used as a "portable" application. The user doesn't need to bother that some temporary files get extracted on startup (and will ne cleaned-up automatically on application shutdown), as it is completely transparent to the user. Most users probably never notice.

Especially with SSD, the extraction should be extremely fast. Takes less than a second on my system! If you ever see LameXP to take more than a few seconds to startup up, get rid of the crappy A/V software that is responsible!
http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/doc/Ma...ormance-issues

(And please don't tell me that LameXP causes your SSD to "wear out" more quickly. SSD's wearing out quickly is a common myth, maybe a problem of the very earliest SSD's, but certainly not of today's ones - as tests have shown many times)

Quote:
2. Why are the settings not saved when upgrading the program with a new version? I know the settings are written to the new config file but the program apparently doesn't use it? every time i update this program the settings are gone and i have to re do all the settings i made.
Settings are not "not saved", but stored separately for each major release. That's because new major releases can add new settings, removed old settings, or change the meaning of existing settings.

IMO it's better to keep things separate. If you changed any of the defaults in LameXP, then you can do so again in 10 seconds. Any maybe, in the meantime, you realized that you should stick with the defaults anyway...

You can even edit the INI file and rename the INI section from "old" to "new" version, so that the "new" version will try to read your "old" settings. That's on your own risk, of course

Quote:
3. would you consider to remove the sound effects? or disable them by default?
There are no plans to disable the sounds by default. You can disable them at any time though, if you don't like them.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th March 2017 at 15:44.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote