View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:08   #16  |  Link
squid_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinaka View Post
UMEZAWA is concerned that it will be all C++ on x64 version compiling with doing nothing special. It's OK?
I think what you mean is if I compile a x64 version all the assembly code will be left out? No, I can modify the assembly so it runs under x64.

Quote:
UMEZAWA also says that he develops Ut Video for post-P4 CPU. He won't write MMX code even if MMX is faster because MMX is doomed -- 64bit Windows couldn't use MMX practically (though he uses MMX at a single part )
If that's what he wants then fair enough. Since the code is GPL there's no reason to pressure the author to add something he doesn't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR
Also why should MMX not work under 64-Bit Windows? I never heard anything like that before.
I wish I were as fortunate as you. My first few posts on this forum (and a few other forums) were spent trying to explain this. Eventually it became the accepted opinion (probably Avery's blogpost helped, as did clarification added to Agner Fog's Calling Convention doc) and these days we think someone is crazy if they say MMX can't be used in windows 64-bit code.

(lol@my comments on the virtualdub blog; it moved to using YASM earlier this year.)
squid_80 is offline   Reply With Quote