View Single Post
Old 11th September 2016, 16:08   #1073  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I agree. Sorry if my answer was not accurate. BTW, when I wrote "(In fact, there is a way to drop the beginning of the movie and start to encode only after a certain frame number, but it will be necessary to decode the beginning of the movie anyway, and that's long and useless.)", I was referring to your SequentialToSeekable plugin. It is very useful, but since the whole beginning of the movie must be decoded anyway, it's slow and it's not really a good solution to encode only from a certain point. But that works, and it is relatively easy to modify a BD3D2MK3D project to use it if it's really necessary.

However, honestly, I don't think that there is an obvious advantage in the possibility to encode only a part of a movie, at least with BD3D2MK3D. Usually, the whole movie must be encoded, or if the BD is made of several episodes, there are almost always titles containing one episode only on the same BD. And the samples that may be useful in some circumstances can be easily extracted from the whole MKV, as I have explained above.

In fact, Donald Graft has proposed to improve his DGMVCDecode plugin by adding the possibility to seek. That requires to process the input file first to build an index and save it to HDD (as FFMpegSource2 does when necessary), and that takes some time, but when the index exists, the seeks are immediate and frame accurate. Of course, I have accepted his proposition, but he has never released the new version, probably because he has not enough time to do it. Perhaps with that solution I would have added the starting and ending points in the BD3D2MK3D GUI, although there are other problems to solve, such as how to cut the audio and subtitles properly (but that should be easy).

Anyway, thanks for the precisions and for your work.

Last edited by r0lZ; 11th September 2016 at 16:11.