View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2015, 06:54   #1980  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
I'm really curious to try your above script and compare because QTGMC seems to run about 50% faster on my rig. What do you mean by "stable" in reference to the picture?
You could maybe think of an analogy of "unstable" as video that wasn't de-interlaced well, or a video encoded with Xvid with a low bitrate, resulting in what I call "encoder wobble" in static areas, that sort of thing. QTGMC is pretty good at cleaning up that sort of "unstable" picture. I'm probably ignorant of the proper technical terms but that's the sort of thing I'm referring to.

If you're interested, there's some samples attached to this post from when I first started playing around with using QTGMC for noise removal. It was my 'torture test" noise removal but it's a good example of what I mean by QTGMC "stabilising" the picture. The other scripts I compared it to were FastDegrain and TemporalDegrain (I don't think I'd found SMDegrain at that stage) as well as some "standalone" Avisynth plugins. It's not a scientific comparison by any means as it was all with the default settings for each noise removal method, except for adjusting the amount of noise removal in QTGMC.
Whether you think it denoised best or not, QTGMC fixed more of the picture "bobbing". It also cleaned up more of the "blemishes" in single frames.

There's also some other samples in the first post which include the original video, and Selur used that to add some additional denoised samples here.

It was all from a while ago when I first started getting a bit more serious about noise filtering and discovered QTGMC can denoise pretty well.
There's definitely no "one size fits all" noise filtering and I still experiment with other noise removal methods a bit, but most of the time I end up using QTGMC.

Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd March 2015 at 07:08.