View Single Post
Old 17th March 2015, 08:34   #1968  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
That's because QTGMC also denoises at the default settings. If necessary, you need to do that after the TFM-TDecimate part in your script.
Doh! Thanks for the reminder, Boulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
If you can apply IVTC and the output frame rate is a smooth 23.976fps, that'd generally be better than de-interlacing to 29.970fps. Having said that, I often use QTGMC in progressive mode to remove noise etc, and that'd sometimes be after applying IVTC. For example:

tfm(order=-1).tdecimate()
QTGMC(InputType=1, EzDenoise=1)

Or you could try appling IVTC and then de-interlacing with QTGMC to see how it looks, even though technically that's completely wrong. Sometimes though I find de-interlacing progressive video with QTGMC can clean it up a bit better (as opposed to QTGMC in progressive mode) despite all it's technical wrongness.

tfm(order=-1).tdecimate()
QTGMC()
SelectEven()

But having said that, I use QTGMC very regularly, often in progressive mode as a noise filter, but I don't find QTGMC to be especially good for animation. I don't know why, and I don't work with animation much myself anyway, but I had a play with your sample and couldn't get QTGMC to produce any oddness. I suspect it's because mostly, there's not two consecutive frames that are different. I tired QTGMC on a different source where every frame was different and it wasn't hard to find places where the output wasn't right when QTGMC was used (admittedly this was just a progressive source I had handy).

Pic 1 original
Pic 2 QTGMC deinterlacing
Pic 3 QTGMC in progressive mode.

It might give you an idea of what to look out for.

For your source I think MeGUI's suggestion of applying ITVC would be best. That'll give you progressive 23.976fps and you could maybe try following that with QTGMC in progressive mode, but there's probably more applicable filters you could use instead. Maybe someone who works with animation regularly will be able to offer a better suggestion.
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Toon
Thanks for your reply, hello_hello. SMDegrain is my denoiser of choice, but that's because it's the only one I've actually learned to use to any (very tiny) extent . Now that I'm a notch above "Clueless" on the QTGMC Scale I'll try your suggestions and compare them to ITVC-SMDegrain, and I'll check your link (thanks). I've searched (not so much, but a bit) for SD animation deinterlacers-denoisers but the pickins were rather slim.

Given that you "had a play with your sample and couldn't get QTGMC to produce any oddness", and the results to my eyes were quite OK (and it makes deinterlacing-decombing-denoising a single-step process), could you recommend QTGMC settings, based on your experience, to get acceptable results? I realize that no set of eyes sees the same, but with your bag o' tricks I'm sure you'd pick a better (simpler) QTGMC starting point than I. I'm striving for final video bit rate ~1500 Kbps and final quality ~7 out of 10, where 1 is "Shrink To ~1500 Kbps Video Bit Rate With Zero Processing" and 10 is "Holy Buddha, I Didn't Know That Was Out In HD!". Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 17th March 2015 at 08:54.