View Single Post
Old 26th July 2016, 19:55   #4045  |  Link
jlpsvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
@ Ma:

I think I used your additional options for the GCC 5.3.0 build as well. That was on another PC... Maybe compare with v2.0+9 which certainly did not have these options set; the changes to v2.0+10 should be small or not relevant in this case, IIRC.
_

@ jlpsvk:

When motion search does not find a good enough match to inter-code a block, it has to be intra-coded, which requires more space and reduces the efficiency. Therefore, a more exhaustive search may improve the efficiency of an encode. Depending on the material. If there are almost only short or perpendicular motions, star would be efficient enough. Could you know beforehand?

Artifical sharpening usually worsens the compressibility. It requires spending more bits for high frequency parameters to be encoded without noticeable artifacts.
Encoding mainly blurays. Starting converting all my BD's to HEVC (as I have VU+ Solo 4K DVB-S2 receiver, which plays 10bit HEVC also, so I will spare lot of space on my RAID). Right now my selected settings:
Code:
--crf 19 --output-depth 10 --level-idc 5.1 --cbqpoffs -3 --me umh --rc-lookahead 60 --ref 4 --min-keyint 23 --keyint 240 --no-open-gop --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --rskip --crqpoffs -3 --high-tier
Looking for balance speed/quality/size.
jlpsvk is offline   Reply With Quote