View Single Post
Old 11th March 2008, 09:50   #499  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

IMO it's correct to mux the DTS-HD track under the DTS codec ID cause all DTS-HD "capable" decoders expect this codec ID for DTS-HD streams, too. DTS-HD "capable" decoders are Nero and Sonic. Nero understands DTS-HD and shows the correct name (e.g. "DTS-HD Master Audio") but then only decodes the core. Sonic decodes the full DTS-HD information.

Haali's Media Splitter intentionally only outputs the DTS core when splitting EVO and m2ts files. But I'm not sure what Haali's splitter does with MKV files. I think there's a chance that Haali will not cut the DTS-HD packets away when an MKV is properly muxed with the DTS-HD packets in it. But I've not had a chance to test that yet. You can test it yourself by doing this in graphedit:

MKV -> Haali Media Splitter -> Nero Audio Decoder 2

Note that the MKV must be muxed with the latest mkvtoolnix version and the Nero Audio Decoder must be from Nero 7 (Nero 8 won't work) and graphedit.exe must be renamed to recode.exe.

You can then in graphedit check (Nero Decoder properties) whether Nero reports "DTS-HD Master Audio" or "DTS-HD High Resolution". If it does, then Haali doesn't throw the DTS-HD packets away from MKV files.

P.S: Of course you could also simply do "MKV -> Haali Media Splitter -> Dump" and compare the file size of the dumped DTS-HD track to the original demuxed one.