View Single Post
Old 26th January 2020, 22:41   #7380  |  Link
zerowalker

Annoying question but might as well ask it.

It was a long time ago since i checked out x265, probably like 2 years ago, and back then x264 was better except for edge cases which was very low bitrate and very high resolutions mostly.
And then it looked crap anyway so even if x265 won it didn't really matter (for me).

How is it nowadays (know it's a vague question)?

If you have like a 1080p video and use crf=16 (which i would say results in high quality for x264 at least) would x265 achieve the "same quality" for less space?
Or is it only in very high resolutions like 4k and beyond that x265 can outdo it cause of how it works?

I know it sounds like i am saying x265 is crap compared to x264, but that's not what i am trying to say, but it's hard to ask the comparison question without making it sound that way.
I am not denying x265 nor the standard h265, it's obviously made for a good reason and the encoder is surely aiming to be as great as possible compared to what currently exists (either for all or some cases),
i just don't know that much about it except that the standard was made with very high resolutions in mind as h264 breaks down quickly there except with very high bitrates (which is the "throw money at the problem" solution usually;P).

Thanks
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote