View Single Post
Old 31st March 2010, 20:30   #93  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadkillz View Post
Hi, I would really love to use this, but whenever I so much as select the avi file from my script, my folder explorer would just freeze. I checked that pfmhost also grows in memory usage by a lot. Loading the virtual file is A LOT slower than loading the actual script file for me. Also, the heavier that my filters are, the slower it is to load. BTW, I have an XP with AMD 3600 x2
Performance is often slower with AVFS than a frame served or VFW accessed AVS, but it depends on the script and on the program accessing the virtual AVI file. The problem is not that AVFS adds any significant overhead to rendering, because it doesn't (there are file systems built on PFM doing hundreds of MBs per second sustained throughput). The problem is that the programs accessing the virtual AVI files often issue reads that require frames to be rendered that the application does not use.

With the limited types of scripts I use, the performance issue I see is a delay when opening the virtual AVI. This is caused by sloppy reads of the AVI file headers and indexes inadvertently causing unneeded frames to be rendered.

There may be some things that can be done with the tunable AVFS parameters in the script to improve performance. Also, someone with some C/C++ coding experience, who is seeing performance issues, could experiment with caching and/or padding in a custom avfs.dll.
joe48 is offline   Reply With Quote