View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2004, 07:57   #205  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by kamiller42
You mentioned you're ripping to AAC 192kbps. I assume you're talking about ripping and encoding with the RealPlayer or encoder in.ra format. I'm ready to rip to 192 AAC, but I would like to avoid any rework if things are different when Real 10 Gold releases.
Actually, since RealPlayer 10 is still Beta, and to avoid any extra work converting files later, by finding a complex solution to a automate the procedure now I am currently using an alternative solution to encode my CDs: Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with its command line encoder interface to do one of two:
1) EAC calls the RealProducer command line, which outputs AAC in .ra, then automatically and losslessly convert those files to .mkv, then too .aac, finally converting .aac to .m4a, and add tags. I described this earlier in the thread, but as you can see, there are many steps involved. Easier is
2) as discussed on hydrogenaudio, EAC calls command line nencode.exe, an interface to the Nero AAC encoder. The output is .m4a directly, and all that is needed now is to add tags.
Neither is all that easy to get started with, especially 1), but works well enough once up and running.

RealPlayer does include a "Convert Media" function which when Gold ships, can probably be used to convert losslessly from your .RA files to .M4A. However, since RealPlayer 10 Gold functionality in this respect is not yet certain and since it is Beta, I would probably recommend waiting. It should not be too long.