View Single Post
Old 7th April 2006, 15:23   #23  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid_80
What I don't understand is why mmio and avifile will quite happily read over the 2gb boundary, but hurk if you seek past it then attempt to read.
There are no special read calls for huge files. All the kernel calls like ReadFile, _lread, _hread just read the next sequential data so they just don't know or care when you cross a 2gb boundary.

However doing a seek on huge files is a pain. All the old calls like _lseek have signed 32 bit args so they "hurk" as you say. Interestingly relative mode seeking seems to work, so I guess the mm/av code must all use absolute mode seeking. Even the modern call SetFilePointer is a pain to drive for huge files access. So a lot of slack code just ignores the high order 32 bit pointer arg and so you are stuck in a 2 gb world still. The avi code is certainly old enough to be using _lseek or a slack implementation of SetFilePointer. And M$ want to disown AVI and do everything in their nasty proprietory ASF format, so I guess they see 2gb as a lever.

If you are serious about doing a reimport of the VDub code please check it into the avisynth_2_6 CVS branch. If it is low fuss enough we can retrofit it to the 2.5.7 base. From what you are saying and from what I am seeing breaking the 2gb barrier is well out of scope for a bug fix release, it's going to be a major step with lots of testing and bugs.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote