View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2008, 04:48   #7495  |  Link
alc0re

Sorry if this has been asked before or if it is a stupid question :

I have been using eac3to to extract video/audio/subs from bluray disks.

I noticed something though and I have a question.

What exactly does the removal of dialog normalization do?

I ask because when I extract an ac3 (dolby digital) track with dialog normalization, and let eac3to remove the dialog normalization, when I play my final encoded avchd structured dvd9 in either my bluray player or my PS3 the audio is really really low and I have to crank up my receiver's volume almost all the way up to hear anything. If I fast forward at like 1.5x realtime where you can still hear the audio its normal level, but as soon as you hit play again it drops the audio down again.

I blamed a PS3 firmware update for awhile but I exchanged my PS3 for a panasonic DMP-BD35K bluray player and it has the same behavior.

I finally got around to trying the -keepDialnorm and now I can hear the audio with my receiver's volume at a normal range. What exactly is removing the dialog normalization buying me and why is it not recommended to use the -keepDialnorm switch? Is there a way to extract the ac3 audio that already has had its dialog normalization removed from my dvd9s and do the reverse process that removing the dialog normalization does? Anyone else have/seen this issue? Perhaps its my receiver? (Yamaha HTR-5940)

Last edited by alc0re; 23rd December 2008 at 05:43.