View Single Post
Old 13th April 2011, 04:59   #82  |  Link
frustum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubJunk View Post
Just wanted to say I found inconsistent results when using autolevels with mvtools. Using our test video (the PetitDragon one) it seems to improve as many frames as it worsens.
It's a great plugin for other purposes though, great job Jim
Although I have no doubt that autolevels isn't guaranteed to only ever improve a clip (now wouldn't that be a great plugin), it would help to know what were the specific problems.

One common one is when a part of a scene should remain dark, autolevels will attempt to brighten it, which both affects the mood of the scene and results in a crappy, noisy picture.

Another common problem is too much clipping. The defaults for autolevel are set to match what it was with version 0.3, when I inherited it, which ignores the bottom 0.4% and top 0.4% of all pixels, pushing all of them into the clipping range. This is typically too much, and can often be fixed by setting it to something smaller like 0.1% or 0.05%.

For both of the above situations I have some ideas for heuristics which would improve the situation, but it doesn't seem possible to avoid all possible pitfalls.

Are you seeing some other problems? Are you using it on a yuv or rgb clip?
frustum is offline   Reply With Quote