View Single Post
Old 19th December 2004, 19:06   #236  |  Link
UMP

Quote:
Perhaps you forgot the remove the restriction in the code (that you uploaded to the website)?
The available source code is the one used to build the publicly available release, as required by the GPL. But you already know this, osn't it ?

Quote:
UMP, are the original authors (fu2k) mentioned somewhere in the documentation?
I always had the feeling that fu2k doesn't like "advertising" around his name. I have the feeling I should't name him unless he explicitly asks to be.

Quote:
I didn't allow you to.
If my presence on this forum is no longed desired, please feel free to shutdown my account.

@Wilbert:

Obviously you don't like the way things have gone with FU, but you should remember what happened after the source code was released : nothing.

It appeared that no one was willing to bring the FU project back to life. I then did my best to update FU and bring it where it is today. Had you rather the project to stay in an idle state forever ?

Here is a quote of a discussion I had with fu2k :
Quote:
fu2k: As long as you stick to the GPL (ie. keeping source code available), then you can decide whether you want to charge or not, I don't mind either way.

However, if you decide to charge a fee, I expect that one of the following will happen:

(a) The fee will discourage people from using the software, and the userbase will shrink substantially, or

(b) Someone else will get the source, build it and host the downloads themself without charging.

You need to think about this and do what is right for you. As long as the GPL is respected, I am not too worried about what happens.

fu2k

ump: To be honest, I really hope to see (b) happen, which would allow for wide distribution while some people will get it from the FU website. Of course, the source code will still be available.

Of course, if I had to definitely stop working on the project, I would make the latest source code and build available for free download.
Now the point is, I'm still having lot of pleasure to work on FU. Unlike the author of AutoGK, lack of motivation is not the reason why I decided to charge for the download. I decided to charge because I had and still don't have no other choice ATM.

This said, think what you want to, it does no longer much matter to me, I'm getting used to see past FU enthusiasts spit on me and my current position.

Regards,

ump
UMP is offline   Reply With Quote