View Single Post
Old 1st January 2015, 21:46   #27941  |  Link
Fullmetal Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Because the best image quality is obtained with a gaussian point spread function, which is the ideal goal for an image upscaler. Fixed-pixel displays such as LCDs typically have square ("box") PSFs, which is the exact opposite and possibly the worst PSF there is. For these displays, upscaling to a higher resolution is likely to look better than native resolution (picture size being equal, of course), because you get less of the square PSF of the screen and more of the near-gaussian PSF of the upscaling filter. A counter-example is CRTs which have a naturally gaussian PSF.

That said, for this to make a difference, you need to sit close to the screen, otherwise visual acuity is not enough to resolve the difference in high-frequency spatial information.
Interesting, so, if I follow you correctly, you are saying that the higher pixel density of a 4K panel allows the panel to more accurately display the higher quality output of the upscaling filter due to the nature of the filter's near-gaussian PSF? So, essentially, the panel acts as a sort of lens which filters the image being displayed. And the quality of the image which reaches our eyes is limited by and can only be as good as is permitted by that filter. And the panel having a square PSF is the weakest link in the chain.

It should be possible then to come up with an objective way to gauge the relative benefit of moving from a smaller screen to a larger screen given that we know the screen sizes and resolutions. I'm thinking that a larger panel would negate the benefit of the higher resolution somewhat. Maybe taking the ratio of each panel's resolution to it's size in comparison would provide a better answer to XMonarchY's question.

XMonarchY it may be wise to take into consideration the nature of the display you linked (that is a PV panel and perhaps more susceptible to gamma shift) as well as how close you will be to the screen. I would expect the gamma shift to be worse the closer you are.
Fullmetal Encoder is offline   Reply With Quote