View Single Post
Old 12th September 2019, 23:36   #57384  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
The render queue is very big (1 full second of playback), maybe this is masking the latency of using system RAM as a crutch and the rendering jitter that would result from that (that 120 ms max render time stat is frightening).
Present queue should in theory not be influenced by the rendering load, it's just there to compensate random delays that could occur at the critical time when frames need to be displayed. So you're saying if you lower it to 6 or 4, playback is less smooth?
The fact you said playback would initially turn into a slideshow with high bitrates scenes would point to decoding as the bottleneck, so in theory just upping the decoding queue should be the only thing needed. Did you try with a big decoding queue but a normal rendering/presenting?

I have given up trying to understand how the older Radeons like yours or mine work with madVR, I have seen all kinds of weird behaviour with it, sometimes bringing up the UI or pausing or seeking back completely screws up rendering times on my desktop until I pause or seek again. Sometimes it drops a frame even though the GPU is only at 60-65% reported load. I have tried all combination of Radeon control panel and madVR settings to no avail.
I tried many many different queue sizes and combinations. CPU queue too high was no good, GPU queue low and CPU high was no good. It was a lot of trial and error and finally settled on the 48/24/8 queue sizes (render queue of 16 was best, but that totally messed up 720p and 1080p playback... 8 is okay for all)

I just checked with AIDA64... my RAM latency is around the 60 ns mark... that's really low isn't it? Does that help when it needs to bail out the VRAM? (WOW I did not notice the 120 ms max stat! yikes!)

As for weird things with pauses/seeks on our cards, I do notice it more with render queue at 8... I never had issues with it at 4. But that is the tradeoff for me to get zero dropped frames for the 4k HDR stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
it's probably just downclocking and then dropping, then upclock

locking powerstate in afterburner works for that.
No my card never down clocks.

QB