View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:03   #196  |  Link
shindou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaG View Post
just tried the deshaker on some old digitized film i have and it worked great! i'd like to try running it as a batch. i know it's not the recommended procedure but i think i could narrow down my tasks that way since the default setting worked so well on my first jitter test.

being new to this, i'm very much unclear on how to set up a batch test using the jobs function. could someone post a step-by-step on how to use jobs to execute deshaker on several files? i'd very much appreciate it.

the thing that has me most confused is how i'd run the first pass since this seems very much a manual operation the way i tested it.

thanks,
BabaG
First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of Deshaker!

Second, and sadly, I have never heard of any practical way of queueing up Deshaker jobs in batch. I've made my own scripts which would, in fact, generate the VirtualDubMod job file directly. Writing them was a trial and error job. They surely won't work for any video - just for those I take with my cam, a Canon PowerShot 720 IS. I also needed to make a variety of similar scripts just to handle slightly different movie formats. Mine will probably not work for you unmodified, unless you have the same camera. Moreover, it makes some assumptions on file naming which may add to the hassle and solve nothing for you after all.

Third, and contrary to what I did (I just needed a quick fix for 270 files), applying Deshaker in batch might not be a good idea. Several of my movies did not deshake well, even after I carefully adjusted "my own default parameters".

If you have the time, I suggest you read up the whole thread to grab a few ideas on how to find the best parameters for each of your movies, manually. If you have even more time and expertise, or a nice programmer friend with plenty of time (not the case usually), make your own scripts.

Currently I think the problem of batch deshaking is just one of several deficiencies in Deshaker (e.g. an easy, intuitive way of telling it to disconsider a specific object or other part of the image). Nonetheless, Deshaker is the best and we'd love an open-source version, which could then prompt a solution more quickly.
shindou is offline   Reply With Quote