Elias
Be Brave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh
WTF is simple block mkv?
I have no idea. Ask the poster that wanted it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicone
Will Gabest also update the outdated matroska splitter ? Simple block ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh
Also, mp4 is not particulary good format per se. I wouldn't even ever used if not the fact that Nero Recode writes output to .mp4.
Well, there are better containers than mp4. The reason I like it, is because it's the native container of MPEG-4, and MPEG-4 rocks in my honest opinion. Still though, there's nothing wrong with mp4, it's pretty good actually. The only downside imho is that it doesn't support chapters yet (not as a standard). I like the fact that you can't put just any codec you want in it, because that means if it's an mp4, it will play (provided that it's done right), and people won't have to have 50 000 different codec decoders installed for one container (like avi), that just gets tiresome and redundant; I have lots of friends who message me constantly about codecs and that they're not playing. It's always with avi files. With a proper mp4, it'll always work as long as they use the right player. I like standards, I want to use standards, and support them. I do that by using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh
Also, if Gabest finally does something with the code, plz somebody tell him that there's such a thing like *DAR aka Display Aspect Ratio*, and it's been known for ages that mpc has tremendous difficulties in auto-adjusting aspect ratio (far worse than zoomplayer btw).

I do NOT see that issue fixed in newer build and that's quite worrying.
We talked about this yesterday, and bond knows his shit
Quote:
[19:23:11] <Elias> Gabest2
[19:23:25] <Elias> will you implement DAR support in mp4?
[19:23:29] <Elias> would be awesome
[19:23:37] <Elias> VLC has it, MPC must have it too
[19:24:34] * Gabest2 has quit IRC
[19:25:12] <Elias> damn
[19:25:34] <|bond|> elias: par is done by the decoder not the parser
[19:25:45] <Elias> I wrote DAR
[19:26:14] <|bond|> ?
[19:26:24] <|bond|> DAR (of asp) is also done by the decoder
[19:26:27] <Elias> as in Display Aspect Ratio... MPEG-4 Anamorphic
[19:26:36] <Elias> hmm ok
[19:26:40] <Elias> didn't know that
[19:26:44] <|bond|> or better said by the renderer
Conclusion: it's not Gabest's fault. By the way, ffdshow supports proper Aspect Ratio decoding for MPEG-4 video, in avi and mp4 as well.

Last edited by Elias; 1st December 2006 at 06:53.
Elias is offline   Reply With Quote